Answered By: Matthew Best Last Updated: Oct 30, 2019 Views: 3
The closest thing that SUNY Erie has to a charter is a framed ceremonial pen and excerpt of a NY State law enacted in 1946 that allowed for the establishment of NY State institutes of applied arts and sciences. The framed ceremonial pen and excerpt are held in the college's archive room located at the North Campus.
You will find an image of the framed ceremonial pen and law excerpt attached below. Note that the document bears the signature of NY State Governor Thomas E. Dewey and Secretary to the Governor Paul E. Lockwood.
The excerpt is from the law known as "An Act to amend the education law, in relation to state institutes of applied arts and sciences and other state supported educational institutions, repealing existing article forty-b of such law relating to such state institutes, and making appropriations to the education department," New York - 169th Legislature : 1040-1045.
Shortly after its passing, this law lead directly to the creation of the SUNY Erie in its original form as The New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences at Buffalo. Additionally, the law led to the formation of four other institutes of applied arts and sciences that were located in New York City, White Plains, Binghamton, and Utica.